Sunday, September 14, 2008

Does it ever get any easier?

It's a beautiful Sunday here in Southwest Ohio and once again I'm probably looking at 3 - 4 hours of grading and planning to get ready for the week ahead. This is my ninth year of teaching and third straight in the fifth grade. You would think with the amount of work I've put into this job that these marathon sessions of doing schoolwork on the weekend would be history by now.

I guess what it all comes down to is that I'm rarely satisfied with my teaching--the lessons, the assessments, etc. I feel like there is always something that needs tweaking, something that I can do better. So during the week I spend the majority of time tweaking instead of grading and planning and then I'm stuck on the weekends. When will it end? When will I ever achieve the satisfaction of knowing that what I'm doing in my classroom is the best I can do? Most importantly, when will I get my weekends back?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm beginning my ninth year of teaching. The first twelve were in Learning Support. I thought it was because of the I.E.P.s that I never had any time of my own. I transferred to fifth grade, but it didn't change. Now I teach "one subject," and I'm still putting in extra hours after school and at home. I'm trying to figure out how other people do it. I'm ALWAYS working. If you find out the answer, let me know. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about mistake in my comment. I meant to type that I'm beginning my NINETEENTH year of teaching.