Saturday, November 05, 2005

Links for the Week: H20 Playlist, Scribe Posts

Current Fascination

I really like the idea of creating playlists on H20. It makes building a list of resources quick and easy, and best of all, the list is online. My first H20 playlist: Top Ten Sites for RSS and Podcasting. I've been working this one up for a presentation I'm doing at a conference next month (SOITA). Instead of passing out handouts, I plan on directing participants to this playlist. There aren't ten sites there yet, but plan on all of them being there before December 5.

A Podcast You Must Hear
Check out this excellent podcast with Barbara Ganley coming from EdTechTalk.com. Barbara discusses her experiences using blogging with her students, and believe me, she is doing some incredible things. During the cast, Will Richardson and his Executive Ed.D class at Seton Hall tune in and ask Barbara some questions.

Teaching Tip for the Week - Scribe Posts

Blogs have yet to really catch fire in the math world. However, there are a few teachers that have really taken this publishing format and put it to work in their classes. I'm impressed with a lot of the ideas I see coming from A Difference, and in particular, Scribe Posts. Here is how a scribe post is described:
The original assignment was simply to post a brief summary of what happened in class each day. A different student is responsible for the daily scribe post and they end their post by choosing the next scribe.
According to the post, not only have the students really benefitted from these posts to the class blog, but so has the teacher, Darren Kuropatwa, a math teacher from Canada.
When a student is scribe they take particularly good class notes and think deeply about what they learned that day. The process of writing their scribe (we've created a new use for that noun) forces them to reflect on their learning and work to articulate the lesson as though they were teaching it.

and

There have been tremendous benefits to me as well. I've become a better teacher. I know that someone is going to write about what I do in class each day -- I had better make certain that they have material to work with! ;-) The scribe posts have allowed me to see how and where students are struggling with the material.
I have set up a community of classroom bloggers over at 21Publish. My students are blogging in math, social studies, and language arts. The only problem is that all of the blogging takes place during school hours. I'd love to see them begin to consider blogs as something more than just a tool to use at school, but also as something that helps them learn outside of school as well.

| | | podcast

No comments: