- Geography - Benchmark A: Identify on a map the location of major physical and human features of each continent.
- Atlases or dictionaries
- Google Images or another photo search engine
- Handout with names of landforms
This is a short and simple lesson that is great for introducing students to blogging. In this activity students are given the task of combining the definitions of two landforms and with a photo of each in two blog entries. Each student then presents their entries to the class (using an LCD projector); during the presentation students copy the definition and get a nice visual of the landform through the photos.
Preparation & Technical Skills
- Each student should have their own blog. (I recommend 21Publish for blogging services)
- Pass out a list of landforms with or without definitions. Assign each student two to three landforms to define and illustrate for the class.
- If students are not familiar with Google Images, teach a mini-lesson on how to search for and choose a photo of their landforms.
- Students should know how to download images from the Internet. If not, teach a mini-lesson on saving images from the Internet to the desktop.
- Finally, students should also be able to upload the photo to their blogs.
I used this lesson to introduce my students to the world of blogging. Therefore, I did not assess technical skills or even the entries. I did however require every student to write down the definitions of each landform during the presentations. After giving them a few days to study, I gave a quiz on the definitions of each landform and also required students to be able to identify them on a map.