Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Great Idea: Blogging a Concept Album

Concept Albums and Blogs is the latest post from the Read/Write Web blog. What an interesting idea, one worth pursuing.

At the risk of going off-topic, I'm currently deeply into IMHO the best album I've heard in years - Green Day's American Idiot. It's a concept album and I often wonder how such a thing could be done in blogging. It's common wisdom that a focused blog is the best way to gain a following in the 'sphere. But I reckon bloggers could complement their chosen topic by producing concept-driven 'blog albums' from time to time.

While I encourage ambitious bloggers to be topic-focused, variety is the spice of life. An excellent way to keep things interesting is to explore a different concept every week or month (or whatever time period suits you). I have to keep reminding myself of this too. As I said in the Sept 03 post:

"Perhaps I'll start writing weblog "albums" - there'll be about 10 posts per album and each album will have a different unifying theme."


What an interesting idea, one worth pursuing. All of our blog posts fall under one category or another. It would be interesting to really focus on one topics for an extended period of time, becoming a pseudo-expert on it through some research, and writing several posts presenting our findings to the blogosphere. Heck, our blogs could become destinations for others looking to find out information on the particular concept we choose for our albums.

For instance, let's say my concept album focuses on using digital images in the classroom. Through my research, I uncover articles from online journals about this concept, discover books about digital cameras, find related information on websites, and read about products that facilitate the use of digital cameras in the classroom. I can then take that information and turn it into posts with links to articles, book reviews, links to camera reviews, and other resources, all around a unifying theme.

I sense a new direction...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog and I'm glad to see you're enthusiastic about the idea. Look forward to see what you come up with!

cheers,

Richard MacManus
http://www.readwriteweb.com